WEEKEND POST 52
The inability of our weather to illustrate the seasons is a continuous source of confusion and exasperation for this Wisconsin native. Unlike our neighbors who moved to the North Carolina coast to enjoy sunshine and warmth, we have fingers and toes crossed for a few festive flurries for the holidays. (Well, I do, at least.)
It’s hard to believe that winter is almost upon us!
I think Thanksgiving turned out pretty well this year. Pan-fried purple yam with roasted garlic gremolata, balsamic-glazed cipollini onions, roasted Brussels sprouts and asparagus with pomegranate arils and orange vinaigrette, and tall glasses of dry Cava. For many the sides steal the show, and while ours were wonderful, they were outdone by my husband’s tender-as-could-be smoked cocoa chilli mole turkey breast + mole-cider sauce. We hardly even missed our traditional caveman legs it was so good. Oh, and I can’t forget that smashing, surprising cranberry crackle tart. A success, I’d say! How did yours go?
This weekend some experimentation with leftovers. I’m thinking turkey tostadas… maybe on spent grain tortillas?
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- Tuesday is World AIDS Day — an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against HIV. Learn what you can do to help raise money, increase awareness, fight prejudice and improve education.
- Your family undoubtedly received help at one point or another. Help your kids understand its significance, and why it’s important to do the same for others.
- Thoughtful ruminations from Mary-Louise Parker.
- An on-point blog post from hunter angler gardener cook: “Cooking with a Sense of Place.”
- Courting women (finally?) to join the beer drinking ranks.
- The time is now to plan your winter exercise routine. Stay ahead of the cold weather and holiday game!
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!