WEEKEND POST 82
All is quiet here this weekend. Somehow fitting as we wade through a hazy hot spell. The humid air hangs like the thirsty leaves of my garden plants. Even the industrious dragonflies and bumblebees are taking long breaks, no place better to go and no desire to go there without a breeze to help them along.
Aside from a gully washer that wreaked havoc in the raised bed mid last week, precipitation is a foreign concept. Crisp is how I would describe the state of our vegetation. Though, as things go in these parts, it’s guaranteed that Mother Nature will soon counter with more rain than we can handle. It’s a maddening summer cycle I’ll never be able to fully stomach. At least my garden has a rain barrel savior. For now.
This Weekly Suppers note is brought to you by Taco Tuesday with all the fixin’s: Moroccan spiced mahi-mahi grilled along with thick slices of Vidalia onion. Carrot and homegrown beet spiralized and tossed with lemon, chillies and fresh mint. Garlicky, minty yogurt, cilantro and fresh arugula to line the bottoms of homemade corn tortillas. Cerveza to round it all out, naturally. (Pay no mind to the tall layer of head — trouble with the CO2 line.)
Anyone else Taco Tuesday? Taco Thursday? Friday Night Pizza? Sangria Saturday? Is that a thing? It should be. What are your plans for the weekend? Much of the country looks poised to weather a couple of hot ones, so take care of yourselves (and your gardens) with plenty of water, plus loads of sunscreen or a hat, if you’re headed outdoors! Don’t forget the links and updates from around the interwebs before you go…
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- DYK that 1 serving (8 fl oz) of milk provides roughly 8 g protein, 30% of your calcium DV, 25% of vitamin D, 10% each of vitamin A and potassium, and is also a good source of B vitamins? Here’s to the cows this June Dairy Month!
- Common kitchen mistakes — #4 and #5, guilty.
- Dear wine, we still love you lots, but make room for your equally as delicious and versatile cousin, beer.
- Temperatures in the 90s this weekend. Hydrating, energizing blueberry chia coconut popsicles to the rescue.
- Make time to walk to meet your daily step count, but also to clear your mind, improve digestion, decrease stress, boost your immune system, build strength and stamina…
- Which view would you rather have: A or B?
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- A no-cook Thai steak salad made with leftover meat and mounds (literally) of colorful produce!
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!