WEEKEND POST 91
Happy September! Coming in hot, isn’t she? Ugh.
Moving on… Short on previously unread books in the house, I chose to revisit the Harry Potter series, finishing all seven far too quickly. Though I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, I think not reading it would be a mistake, and am quite looking forward to getting my hands on it (and off of this). Even if the new play-based HP is a bust, there’s more to discover with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them + three e-book shorts penned by Rowling herself: Pottermore Presents. You’re never too old to wish for more wizarding wonderment, right?
Happily reminiscing about this early summer Weekly Supper of grilled paella Valenciana and the prettiest pale pink rosé. We broke in my husband’s new pan with a mixture of cod, shrimp, calamari and octopus + saffron-infused veg stock, Spanish Bomba rice, fresh roasted red bells and jarred red piquillo peppers, jarred artichoke hearts, and lots-o-lemon at the end. A combination of bright and fresh + hearty and deeply flavored, paella is actually a good meal to bridge the gap between the hot and cold seasons, since you can use fresh or frozen seafood, or chicken or sausage, and jarred, canned or frozen veg are often just as good taste- and nutrition-wise as fresh! So perhaps this isn’t farewell for the season yet, paella…
Any fun plans for Labor Day weekend? We nailed down our final 2016 fantasy football teams last night before things turn blustery. I struggle to stay on top of one fantasy team, so we’ll about this year’s two (zero clue how he manages four). Other than that totally non-dorky Friday evening (yet delightfully topped and tailed with great pizza and great bevs), we’re so ready for the long holiday weekend. Even if it isn’t the finest of weather.
Here are some links to distract you from churning storms or what-have-you. Stay safe, and enjoy!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- The theme of this year’s National Cholesterol Education Month is: “Know your cholesterol numbers, know your risk.” Research has clearly shown that lowering cholesterol can reduce risk of developing heart disease, so get the facts today, and improve your health for tomorrow!
- Craft brews have up to 5X more hops than traditional beers — great news for hop farmers + the drinkers reaping their antioxidant benefits!
- You should definitely try our technique for cold-brew coffee linked below, but here are a few calorie-saving tips if you have a Starbucks emergency.
- Need a desk break? Go on a virtual tour of a National Park.
- Retelling Civil War battles with cats.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Cool down in the final hot days of summer with French Press Cold-Brew Coffee Concentrate + Coffee Ice Cubes.
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!