WEEKEND POST 98
There is plenty of support offered freely and unselfishly to people after damaging storms, but I wonder — who, if anyone, helps the animals affected? Is it left to nature to sort out, or are there wildlife aid groups who step in?
The questions struck me now having watched our unlucky osprey family’s nest completely destroyed twice in less than a year. It breaks my heart, and I wish there was some way to literally give them a hand. Or a snack of fish (or this?) to give them energy for another rebuild. At least, I hope they choose to rebuild!
A #thursdaynightpizza for the Weekly Suppers flashback this week. A gorgeous NC-grown tomato from the farmers market paired perfectly with a sweet SC peach, thyme picked from the patio pot, and shards of salty Manchego on a base of smushed roasted garlic and olive oil. Some of the final true summery flavors + the last two glasses of our anniversary white made up for the fact that work interfered with our Friday night traditions.
Any fun fall festivities planned this Saturday and Sunday? One of the downtown taprooms is sampling some rare beers this afternoon. We might swing by, but definitely need to get a pumpkin for the stoop + a pie pumpkin for a batch of spicy punkin coconut (ice) cream. It may not feel it otherwise, but I will make it look and taste like Halloween is in nine days.
Hope your weekend is crisp, clear and colorful, but first, check out the links + updates below!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- October is Vegetarian Awareness Month, created to highlight the many benefits of a plant-based diet, including more nutrients and fiber, saving money on your grocery bill, helping the environment and promoting sustainability. Going meatless even a couple days each week can have wonderful benefits if, like me, you couldn’t bear to part ways completely with delicious animal foods.
- The life of a military husband or wife is not easy. This free class helps milspouses learn + bond in the kitchen.
- Tracing the history of pencils.
- How to train your cat?
- Which comic animal photo is your favorite? Mine is #9!
- Everything is awesome about this bag!
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Homemade marbled rye bread
- And an HGN flashback to feed your Autumn flavors cravings: Roasted Buttercup Squash and Cinnamon Apple Slices with Mixed Greens, Feta Cheese and Aged Balsamic Vinegar
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!