WEEKEND POST 144
What are you up to this weekend? A system of storms rolled across the eastern seaboard earlier this week, bestowing upon us unseasonably early autumnal feels — highs in the upper 70s, overnights in the lower 60s, humidity cut nearly in half to around 50%!
This Weekly Suppers memory is to Labor Day weekend, when my husband halved a thick NY strip to experiment with two cooking techniques (swoon): one new, a stove-top sous vide hack; the other a beef + pork stand-by, the “reverse sear.” We don’t steak often, but when we do, STEAK.
He finished both in the blazing hot skillet, brown butter-basting. Can you see that caramelized crust?! We shared each, with deep glasses of Pinot + balsamic-doused mixed greens and grilled homegrown eggplant. (In case you’re curious, a slight edge went to the sous vide steak for tenderness + juiciness.)
Sending my wishes for a calm Saturday and Sunday to all. If you’re in the path of the storm, please be safe and smart. To take your minds off that (or perhaps a nail-biting college or NFL football game — they’re baaaack), pop down for a few of the HGN updates + my favorite links from around the interwebs this week.
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- Nearly 49 million Americans struggle daily with hunger. September is Hunger Action Month — a nationwide campaign to mobilize the public to take action and get involved in the movement to fight this very real issue!
- The pursuit of happiness.
- A complete breakdown of Shakespearean character demise we never knew we longed for.
- Do you respect all wood?
- Lightning bugs are fascinating creatures!
- I like 3 and 10.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!