WEEKEND POST 145
“What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.”
— Ralph Waldo Emerson, ca. 1878
When it comes to our yard, weed control isn’t the occasional battle — it’s all-out war. Despite the terrible quality of our soil, there is no shortage of seeds being blown in or washed up from heavy winds and powerful rainstorms we’re accustomed to ten months out of the year. And for every one that germinates and is eventually plucked out, another three take root.
I’m typically not very forgiving of things that grow where they should not be, but there are those few that I, probably in folly, allow to live, even encourage. Like this little flowering vine currently trailing at the base of our magnolia tree. Or a similar vine that twirled up the main trunk of our fig tree, with its curly-cue tendrils and dainty white flower bunches. Or the wild grains that shoot up in clumps, a golden reminder of Midwestern fields in fall.
In the broadest sense, any plant growing in “the wrong place” is deemed a weed. But who defines right and wrong? As RWE suggests, perhaps the “weeds” have value. For me, it’s simply their natural beauty.
What do you have planned this weekend? I’m off to pickle some jalapeños, marinate bison steaks for grilling this evening, decide on a new dessert, and do some (selective) weeding in the yard. Below are some links I enjoyed looking at recently + a few HGN updates. Have a great Saturday + Sunday!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- It’s not always easy, but sitting down at the table with your loved ones is worth it. September is Family Meals Month — read about why they’re beneficial + get links to dietitian- and family-approved recipes.
- Cocktails aren’t my jam, but this sketch of a Bee’s Knees sure is enticing.
- If you’re in the cleaning kind of mood today… (I am!)
- Gorgeous trailer for “Coco.”
- Finally, how to properly (+ quickly) defrost your windshield!
- An IG feed overflowing with cuteness.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Yogurt Cloud Cake (GF)
- Weekend Post 144
- Another Family Food guest post on successful meal planning for you and your family!
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!