WEEKEND POST 146
After weeks away, meals at home are always that much more appreciated — even if it’s frozen, container-shaped leftovers. Don’t you agree?
Lucky for us we had two generous servings of Grandma Marie’s split pea pork hock soup my mom sent us back to NC with many months ago, quietly waiting in the deep-freeze to provide comfort, memories of home + family, and brightness to an ominous-looking afternoon last weekend. Even luckier is that soups like this get better with time, and reheat very well.
Plans for this Saturday and Sunday? It’s clearly still very much hurricane season here. Out of awe and a baseline unease that plagues me throughout these months, I’m stalking the progress of Maria: How does the latest wunderground model look? Has @NOAA tweeted? She seems to be keeping her distance, but regardless, more comfort soup, please.
Anywho, my latest updates are below + a few fun links from around the web as means of distraction. Here’s to a peaceful, natural disaster-free first week of Autumn!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- September is World Alzheimer’s Month, and research has linked high intake of omega-3 fatty acids to improved brain health, including a possible risk reduction of dementia or cognitive decline. Learn more here, then load up on chia, flax seeds + walnuts, as well as fatty fish like sardines, trout, halibut, salmon + sea bass (hello, recipe below).
- Away from home as much as I am these days, definitely count me in as a Lazy Gardener.
- Some are saying it’s “better than chocolate,” but I’m thinking wine pairing!
- Way more neat + less annoying than Operation.
- Larry David’s return to the screen next week should be prettttyyyy, pretttyyyyy, prettttty good.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Salt-Baking a Whole Fish
- Weekend Post 145
- Guest feature on Food & Nutrition Magazine Stone Soup blog — my recipe for Flourless Dark Chocolate Stout Cake
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!