WEEKEND POST 151
This post is brought to you by the letters C-O-F-F-E-E.
In a short while I’ll leave for the city to collect my husband from the airport. Unlike my several days away this week, his work travels were slightly further afield: Japan! The simple way I would figure out our time difference (13 hours ahead) was to add an hour, then flip the AM/PM. Almost the exact opposite, and the really crazy thing — he is, at this very moment, essentially flying back in time en route to his first stop at O’Hare. I should’ve told him to write down the winning lottery numbers…
Needless to say, when his plane lands here mid-afternoon (pre-dawn there), a jet-lagged zombie he will be. Though I can thankfully keep my routine weekly travels to the same time zone/half of the world, I’m also pooped. Coffee for me, rest for him. Probably rest for me, too, then more rest for him. This should be a rollicking weekend!
This Weekly Suppers flashback, oh man, bookmark it for your late autumn + winter menus. As a side or light main, it’s a simple vegetarian “recipe” that requires little preparation but is packed with flavor. Here’s my quick and dirty rundown:
Step 1. Roast wedges of acorn squash rubbed with a bit of olive oil + s&p (dial up the flavor with ras el hanout) for 20-30 minutes in a 450° F oven, flipping halfway through. Step 2. Whisk together a simple vinaigrette of 2 parts fresh lemon and/or orange juice to 1 part extra virgin olive oil, 1 grated or finely minced garlic clove + s&p. Step 3. Toss baby greens — arugula, spinach, kale, whatever you like — with just enough of the vinaigrette to lightly coat. Step 4. Assemble the greens + roasted squash on individual plates or a large serving platter, topping with fresh snipped chives and/or mint leaves, pomegranate arils + nubs of creamy chèvre.
What are you up to? Did you get any of the snow? I’m jealous! My mission is to squeeze an entire weekend’s worth of fun in tomorrow evening when both of us are mostly righted. So I’m off to the airport before our attempts at rest. Have a lovely weekend, and enjoy my favorite links + updates from the past week!
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- Each year 30% of students are the target of bullying and cyber-bullying. October is National Bullying Prevention Month, dedicated to encouraging communities to work together to stop all forms of bullying through increased awareness of the prevalence and impact it can have on all children of all ages. Kindness begins with each of us.
- My husband and I were just having this discussion about turkey eggs.
- Halloween traditions around the world.
- These spooky dogs would’ve been right up my alley as kid.
- Cracking down on “smartphone zombies.” Right on, Honolulu.
- Your definitive guide to the great music genre of jazz.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom go out to my husband!
Recently on HGN:
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!