WEEKEND POST 161
Under today’s thick cover of low grey clouds we braced ourselves against the damp chill with steamy miso soup — redolent of smoky bonito + rich yellow miso, soft tofu cubes are vibrantly set off by deep green wakame, spinach ribbons + shaved scallion. These bowls are keepers.
Perhaps to further bolster ourselves for the dreary weather, we went a bit nuts at the markets this morning, and are planning several big kitchen projects. The first comes at the request of my pre-birthday husband: un gâteau mille crêpes — a French cake of a thousand crêpes. I couldn’t promise the full 1,000, but I did promise him alternating layers of dark chocolate sauce + homemade strawberry jam.
What are your plans for this mid-January weekend? Has the sun taken his holiday from us to spend it with you? Either way, hope it’s terrific, and don’t miss my stellar new links + updates from the past week below.
+ + + +
Some interesting, fun, delicious reads:
- The year 2018 has been designated as the Year of the Bird! To celebrate, National Geographic, the National Audubon Society, BirdLife International, and other partners are asking people to pledge to do one thing per month that will help birds thrive. #birdyourworld
- While feathers are on our minds, watch these brainy wonders in action!
- If you bought some farro to make my latest recipe, here’s one for breakfast that I’m drooling over.
- And then for supper, this lemon salt alder smoked salmon, please.
- Stout vs. porter — do you know the differences?
- Love the idea of a one-second video memory-keeping app.
- This week’s pinned words of wisdom.
Recently on HGN:
- Wild Mushroom Farrotto
- Weekend Post 160
- Guest post on the Family Food, LLC blog about probiotics + prebiotics
+ + + +
p.s. I love hearing from you! Check back if you ask a question, because I’ll answer it here.
And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing. Thanks!